Friday, May 25, 2012

The Hunger Games


So, I did another stint at Five Rivers today.  Animal Signs again, this time with 2nd graders.  A lively bunch, it was hard to keep them all focused - though they did a good job of creeping up silently on a a family of geese.


These kids, I was told, usually have lunch at school at 11:20am.  Too bad, then, that our lesson today was scheduled to run a whole hour beyond that time.  From 11:21 onwards the most frequently asked question became "When are we going to eat?"  I felt for them - I don't do too well on an empty stomach myself - but we had to plough on regardless.  It was a challenge for me with my jolly nature activities to compete with growling tummies, but I did my best.  Most of the children managed to have fun, I think.  I hope so, anyway.

As we finally headed towards the picnic benches and (hooray!) their lunch, one of them confided "I'm so hungry, it's like there's an animal biting the inside of my stomach!"  That hungry.  Poor them.

No comments:

Post a Comment