...are sometimes one and the same thing. And though they don't always get me down (as that Carpenters' song would have it) this one did make me feel a bit dull and listless. So it was just as well that one of my fellow Friends of Five Rivers board members, who is very cheerful and lively, came round for coffee to discuss membership-drive ideas.
We even ventured out in the torrential rain to 5R itself. Generally speaking there's only one river - and that's more of a creek really - at Five Rivers. For some reason the nature preserve was named after the five major rivers of the region, none of which run through it or even very near it. But today there was quite an impressive river running the length of the carpark/parking lot.
OK, competition time. Prizes (or honour at least) to anyone who can name all (or any of?) the aforementioned five rivers. Note to the Exile (a frequent 5R visitor)- you can enter if you like, but no Googling.
No takers for the rivers challenge, then? I'll give you another day - there's at least one you've heard of...
ReplyDeleteWell I'm ashamed to say I stalled at two (the ones that play a part in our immediate local geography) after that my attempt to dredge up river names ended up in Oxfordshire.
ReplyDeleteOK, those rivers in full (and I have to admit, I needed to double-check the answer): Hudson, Mohawk, Sacandaga, Hoosic and Schoharie Creek.
ReplyDelete