For several months, off and on, I've been working with one of my fair trader contacts to develop a fair trade fundraiser for the kids' school. The idea is to commission a cooperative of weavers - Mayan Hands - in Guatemala to make friendship bracelets in school colours. Tonight I presented the idea and some sample bracelets to the PTA, who have agreed to put in an initial order for 300. Everyone anticipates that the bracelets will sell well, and that there'll be more orders to follow. And since our school colours are in fact shared by the whole school district, I'm hoping other PTA's will decide they want the bracelets too... It could grow to be quite a big thing.
This venture opens up some great opportunities for introducing a whole lot more people to the concept of fair trade. I'm pretty excited and really hope we make a success of it.
That is such a fantastic idea!
ReplyDelete