Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chocolate Sunday

So, our fair trade chocolate event is over. It went well. There was quite a good turnout, especially considering what a wiltingly hot day we had.

A glowering sky at set-up time meant we ended up inside. Although the threatened storm never actually broke, it wasn't such a bad choice to be indoors as it was quite a bit cooler there - I think the stall-holders would have expired if we'd put them outside for the whole afternoon. We did park our Ben & Jerry's ice-cream server out there, though, and he did a brisk trade in free scoops of that company's fair trade finest.

We had free chocolate to give away, but we made visitors earn it by answering a few simple questions and taking part in activities - designing a chocolate wrapper, learning about Ghanaian culture (Ghana's a major cocoa-producing country) and various other types of hands-on fun. Kids from the local middle school were in charge of most of these activities, and they did a great job.

It took a lot of preparation, and a certain amount of worry, but ultimately I enjoyed it. And I am quite glad it's done with now.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that it all went well.
    I would have loved some of that chocolate and ice cream .I hope that you didnt over indulge
    Many congratulations

    ReplyDelete