Monday, May 24, 2010

Albaniana and the Chipmunks

A couple of days ago I noticed a chipmunk skipping around at the back of the house. Now, you have to hand it to chipmunks, they really are adorable with their stripes and their chubby cheeks. Cute, cute, cute. But you don't want them tunneling under your patio slabs.

This morning I realised that was what our chipmunk was doing, also that he was not alone - there were at least three of them. Oh dear.

I've tried in the past to keep rodents off my crocuses using garlic juice, so I went out and stuffed peeled garlic cloves down the holes I'd identified. "Thank you!" said the chipmunks, "That's just what we fancied for breakfast!"

Off to the internet, then, to do a little research on chipmunk eviction. Someone suggested tying plastic bags to sticks near the holes - they would flutter in the breeze and be scary. So I tried that, but there was no breeze, and the chipmunks just popped right out next to the bags, not bothered at all.

The next trick: ammonia-soaked paper stuffed in the holes. I stuffed every hole I could find, though I was worried that with their garlic-breath they'd hardly notice the smell. But I've since watched a chipmunk come out of the burrow, and he seemed reluctant to return - so maybe they'll be on their way now.

I'll let you know tomorrow...

2 comments: