Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Air show

This morning I had another Five Rivers teaching assignment - a two hour Animal Signs class - and waking up to a chilly, drizzly day, I wasn't really looking forward to it.

Of course it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable lessons I've led. The third graders in the group were enthusiastic and didn't complain at all about being cold, damp or hungry, and we saw some really cool stuff together: geese, a deer, a chipmunk, vole holes - and an amazing aeronautical display by some swallows.

The birds were catching insects over one of the ponds, so intent upon the task that they were totally oblivious to us - even though the kids were all clapping and cheering them. They flew so close over our heads that we could feel their wings flapping. Awesome! We could have stood watching them all day.

I'm due to teach the same lesson tomorrow, except it won't be the same lesson: younger students (first graders), different conditions, different signs and animals to spot. The complete unpredictablity makes these nature classes a challenge - but it's also why they're so much fun.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like good fun!
    I hope today[13th]was as successful

    ReplyDelete