Friday, February 8, 2008

Hippie hip hooray

Busy, busy day. Up to school first thing, where there was further confirmation that the place is a bona fide hippie establishment. Where else d'you get to sing 'Puff the Magic Dragon' in assembly?

Then a complete change of scene at the Q.U.I.L.T. auction. Great fun. Not just an auction of quilting paraphenalia, but also a raffle and 'door prizes'. The auction was conducted by a local pharmacist with no knowledge of quilting, so he enjoyed himself making quips about low-shank feet and strip piecing as he took bids for antique quilts, sewing machines and cutting boards. There were lots of goodies in the raffle - baskets of fabric, quilting books and the like. Fabric featured heavily amongst the door prizes too. These were handed out to people fitting various random categories, such as 'anyone in the room who has had a knee or hip replacement'.

I actually won a door prize myself (for being the 87th person to sign in that morning, not for being 87). I even won a raffle prize, for the first time ever, so that was pretty neat. I hurried home for lunch clutching my freshly won bundles of fabric. You can never have too much fabric.

Back up to school to chauffeur kids to skating. After that, some shopping. Then I collected the Man from work and caught up with our kids at a friend's house, where we were also invited to dinner. Our hosts had had an oven fire earlier in the day, but seemed remarkably unruffled ('beyond hysterical' was how they put it) and still served up a delicious meal. We had a lovely evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment