Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thoughts from home #3

And now for another occasional guest blog-spot. Today April Fool shares some ideas for half-term holiday activities. Here in the US we might be using them next week during Presidents' Week vacation. Please feel free to add your own suggestions...

I think I’ve finally cracked it: how to make those long half-term days pass painlessly. Get them to re-enact their favourite film in its entirety, the longer the better, complete with full dress rehearsals with numerous costume changes. My elder two spent most of the day engrossed in The Sound of Music: B as Maria (with a brief cameo as a nazi soldier), and S as all of the von Trapp children plus their father. (I did try hard to get their little brother a part, but was told indignantly that ‘there isn’t a fairy playing a drum in the film’.) We even managed to get some healthy outdoor exercise into the proceedings: the Gog Magog common proved a perfect setting for the opening ‘Hills are alive’ sequence.

I’m thinking of trying for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on Thursday. Just think of the possibilities: Harry Potter could keep you going throughout the entire Easter holidays. But I’m sure I’m preaching to the converted here: the Girl has been starring in shows for as long as I’ve known her.


We spent the first two days of half term doing a spot of great-granny-sitting, which was quite eye-opening in some ways. Just as, when you have a baby yourself, the whole world seems to be pushing a buggy – when you are in charge of an elderly person, there seems to be another wheelchair user round every corner. And a couple of steep steps, that normally you would have hardly noticed. We have selective vision.

And I have spotted a business opportunity. The high streets are teeming with opportunities for purchasing the latest designer pram or potty for the very young: where do you go to try out the new ‘Rock-an-oldie’ wheelchair, or choose a floral pattern for your hearing aid case? Maybe in the States they already have the concept of a granny emporium? Thirty years time, we’re going to be outnumbering those newborns, we the generation brought up on ‘retail therapy’. And I want something to look forward to.

3 comments:

  1. My top tip for half term fun is the swimming classes in Haverhill. Okay, so you do have to get up as early as on a school day, but there are only 2 children in the swimming class - what a bargain! And my son did comment how slowly the days were passing - I asked if this was good or bad, and he said good, there was so much time for so much fun. (Yesterday, fun unfortunately included a great hour rollerblading in Cherry Hinton Hall followed by a nose rapidly coming into contact with a concrete slab, rapidly followed by lots of blood...but life can't be perfect all the time)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which part of that would not be the perfect in the eyes of a small boy?
    Surely copious bleeding is just as cool as rollerblading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope whoever's nose is better soon. The Exile may be into blood and gore, but the Boy I know best would probably have to spend a week with his head in a paper bag to avoid accidentally seeing his scabby nose in a mirror. Like his mother, he Doesn't Do Blood.

    ReplyDelete