Saturday, February 23, 2008

Rock 'n' roller

We spent most of the day at the Exiles' house, having lunch and hanging out. Also along for the party was another of the Boy's special friends from school and her Mom. It must have felt rather weird for them, being so out-numbered by Britons in their own country. The Mom took the opportunity to get a British perspective on current US politics, health services and education. For what they were worth, we enjoyed sharing our opinions - and we had some good laughs in the process.

There were even more laughs when the Exile and Exile #2 introduced us to the joys of Rock Band - an X-box video game where up to four people get to 'play' guitar and drums and/or sing along to heavy rock songs - sort of karaoke plus. We played so long and hard that I came away with a bit of a headache (see, there's always a price for fun, that's why I generally try to avoid it). As my brains were turning to mush after too many attempts on the drums I began daydreaming of special interest alternatives to Rock Band. 'Dance Band' would be nice, I thought: play along to jolly hits of the thirties and forties. Or 'Big Band', if you really had a lot of friends...

Some of the children had a go, too. The Exiles' youngest, who in bloglife goes by the name of E5N1, is still on the small side for rocking. But he sure can roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment