We were woken this morning by an all too familiar sound. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say the Girl was off school again today. Possibly food poisoning, but who knows?
While she recuperated I got on with painting walls. And I decided to do penance for all my past sins by tuning into the WAMC fund-drive.
WAMC is the local station that brings us National Public Radio programmes, and three times a year it does a telethon thing to raise money from listeners. Not just for a day, but for a whole week. If you can imagine Children in Need on the radio without any of the remotely entertaining bits and for an entire week, that's how awful it is. The presenters start off chirpy enough, but as the hours pass their voices begin to crack with desperation as they cajole, beg and attempt to bribe people to phone in (as in 'Pledge us enough money and we can end this fund-drive and let you have the real programmes back!').
Much as I loathe the fund-drives (this is the second I've endured since we came here) I do love this radio station and listen to it nearly all day and often through the night. My life here would be a whole lot less good without it.
No comments:
Post a Comment