Yesterday I called in at Slingerlands Price Chopper, which is a cut above our local one. I'd been told I'd find Marmite there, and yes! Nestled between Kosher and Cajun speciality food was a modest British section, featuring Bird's Custard Powder and those horrible chocolate covered marshmallow tea-cake things, and Typhoo Tea. I bought a small outrageously priced pot of Marmite for the Girl's sandwiches.
Next I spent a long time choosing products in the Organic food section (where I also found a reasonable selection of fair trade goods - that's where they've been hiding them). I used to be pretty ambivalent about organic foods. But here they are shelved under 'Natural Foods', which does beg an obvious question about all the other stuff on sale. And then when you start reading the labels on all that other stuff and realise how much added salt and corn syrup and hydrogenated whatever they contain, buying 'natural' does start feeling the right thing to do - paying a little more for a little less, as it were.
We're having to decide whether the same rules apply with house buying - pay more for less in the right area, or not? Our search has only just begun, it seems.
Not impressed with the meagre turn out for yesterday's caption competition. You should be udderly ashamed of yourselves... I'll give you until Monday to come up with something amooosing.
Oo, I've been working on the 'pull the udder one' theme all day - now I'm going to have to start again. Creative genius takes time!
ReplyDelete