Friday, September 7, 2007

Troy Story

The air-con was set so high at Price Chopper today that by the time I came out my be-sandalled toes were blue. Mental note to self, remember to put on socks before attempting supermarket shopping, even when the outside temperature is 94 degrees.

The Girl and Boy have successfully completed their first two days at school, and seem pretty happy with everything. They are making friends and already having good new experiences which we hear about in snatches. The school day is longer here than they are used to, and both days they have come home tired and rather cantakerous, but I'm hoping they'll get into the rhythm of things with time.

After dropping them off this morning the Man and I went to Troy, over the Hudson River from Albany, so that he could sit in the dismal Social Security office (why are government offices the world over so dreary?) while I scoped out the area.

Troy used to be an industrial centre but has fallen on hard times. It's clear that there's local pride, and there are ongoing attempts to turn the place's fortunes around. There are a few tarted up streets, and some fine college and municipal buildings, but move a few blocks over and there are streets of boarded up shops and a generally down-at-heel air. But it's the most interesting commercial/residential area I've visited here, with far more character than the soulless malls that predominate elsewhere. Plus it has a really excellent independent bookshop. I think I'll be back.

The Girl made up a joke on the way home this afternoon:

Q: What do you get if you cross a bottom with a hippo?

A: A hippobottomous.

Well, it made me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment