Saturday, September 8, 2007

When you're in a new town...

Today we signed up at our local YMCA. Disappointingly we'll never find out if it's fun to stay there - it's just a sports centre. Still at least it is staffed by people dressed as Red Indians and construction workers.

It isn't really.

But it is a really nice sports centre. Two pools, lots of fitness equipment, gym, indoor running track (we'll no doubt understand why, come winter) and a full-sized ice-rink. Fantastic!

Friends probably know that I have an eye for quilts. In the afternoon we set off once again to Altamont, this time for a quilt show I'd seen advertised. Unfortunately it had rained heavily there an hour before we arrived, and since it was an outdoor show all the quilts had been packed up and taken away. Disappointing. Still, we bought a ball of ultra-soft 'Oh My!' wool at the specialist wool shop, and some sweetcorn and strawberries from the farmer's market which is there every Saturday. To my surprise and pleasure in this land famous for fast food, there are little farmers' market-stalls all over the place selling excellent fruit and veg.


Freshly squeezed lemonade is another often available treat. As you can see here, it comes in buckets slightly bigger than a Boy's head (lucky we didn't order a Large!). We bought this one at last week's Scottish Games. It doesn't send the kids wild like a certain fizzy orange drink, but you do quickly get to know where all the loos (restrooms) are.

Our day's adventures ended in a mall where I bought a mobile (cell) phone. To keep the children amused during the transaction the salesperson let them play with a drawer full of ex-shop-model phones. They were even allowed to keep one each, and so were able to spend the journey home making urgent calls to the Fat the Controller and all his engines.

3 comments:

  1. Of course I meant Native Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to hear all about your full use of the fitness equipment, gym and the running track...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miaow! And how's your fantasy fitness programme going, eh? Seriously, the point is I COULD use all that stuff if I wanted to - and I feel so much better for it! Meanwhile, pass me another slice slice of that deep-fried cheesecake, will ya?

    ReplyDelete