Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sump-pumpkin

I've just had a bit of an evening snooze. I crept under the covers on the pretext of giving the Boy a bedtime cuddle, but actually to try and sleep off the bottle of pumpkin ale I drank at a party this afternoon.

It's not that pumpkin ale is particularly strong (disappointingly it isn't particularly orange either, or even made from pumpkins). I'm just not much of a drinker.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable party, a gathering of the Man's fellow ex-pat colleagues and their partners. I knew some of them quite well already, but others I'd only ever met in passing, or at the dreaded office Christmas parties where you have to shout your small talk over the noise of a disco that no-one's dancing to. (Have I mentioned before that I have no sense of fun?)

We were a bit late arriving because we'd been house-hunting again. Still no joy, but by now we've seen examples of just about every type of house available: colonial, cape cod, contemporary, raised ranch... names that meant little to us at the start of this excercise but which now trip easily off our tongues along with other once-unfamiliar housing-related vocabulary: mud room, central air, half bath, sump pump. Prizes to readers in Britain who can suggest what any of those things might be.

4 comments:

  1. Definitely go for a house with a mud room - I am imagining it is a bit like a wet room, but designed for mud baths/mud-wrestling, or indoor pig-farming, as the mood takes you. However I suspect it is really a more boring small utility room for keeping your wellies in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though it could be a home for your pygmy hippo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is half bath when you sit down in the shower?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not as luxurious as that, I,m afraid.

    ReplyDelete