There's a church we drive past quite often that has a big sign outside. In gothic lettering it says: Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's land.
From the first time I saw it this struck me as an oddly specific choice of commandments to stick outside your place of worship. But a friend has recently explained to me that the church is in the middle of a dispute over the empty patch of land next door. The friend kindly assumed that the sign must be tongue in cheek, but I'm not so sure.
I'm similarly uncertain about the 'humour' of a sign in a front yard on the way into Troy: If you can read this sign...you're within range!
Well, I guess it's one way to avoid being bothered by trick-or-treaters come Hallowe'en...
I've seen that sign and I'm not convinced there's much humour in it - especially because it's mounted on one of the few border-defining fences in the neighbourhood.
ReplyDelete