Friday, July 1, 2016

Familiar territory


I took myself off to Five Rivers today for a nostalgic walkabout. The new visitor centre is under construction so there's a degree of mess and upheaval in that area, but the rest of the place looks the same as ever.

I'd picked up a sandwich from a shop in Delmar, and I munched it as I went round. It's difficult to eat American sandwiches - they are never just a modest slice of cheese and a leaf of lettuce. This was a veggie thing so stuffed with leaves and olives and pickles and whatnot I couldn't fit it in my mouth. It was dripping slightly with dressing, and before too long so was I.

Later I scoped out the street where we used to live. I called on an old neighbour, originally from Switzerland so we talked politics, European and American. She regards the Brexit vote as an ominous sign of terrible things to come in the US in November. Let's hope she's wrong.

In other news, another guest at the friend's house where I'm staying has been an enormous dog, the hugest I've ever met. When upright he looks more like an upholstered side table than a pet. Luckily he's friendly and calm, which is good in a creature the size of a bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment