Saturday, July 9, 2016

Thursday

I started Thursday with my refugee friends in Albany.

They are doing very well. They are settled in the house they'd bought just before I last saw them, and they like the neighbourhood - and another Karen family has moved in two doors down. Both parents are working. The oldest girl has finished high school with good grades and lots of friends and has a college place to study nursing. The other kids have a few more years of school to go, but between them they are looking at careers in engineering, medicine and teaching. If you want a refugee success story, this is it.

I moved on to lunch with a German friend, V, and we caught up on each other's news and of course talked Brexit - a bit of a theme in nearly every conversation, but she's a professor of politics so had a particular interest. However the young guy serving in the cafe also wanted to quiz me about it - everyone is fascinated by what has happened.

Then I reunited with the Girl for a bit and we spent a couple of hours relaxing at Pine Hollow Arboretum, which is looking especially lush at this time of year. We weren't the only visitors.

I dropped her at the next friend's house, and had an invigorating chat with the friend's mom, who has a different view of the world from me (she's something of a libertarian) so it's always interesting to talk with her.

And finally to my friend M's house, for dinner and to stay a couple of nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment