Saturday, July 9, 2016

Friday

M and I decided to visit The Mount, an hour away in Lenox, Massachusetts. It was the writer Edith Wharton's home for ten years in the early 20th century, and has been restored to something close to what she would have remembered. I haven't read any Wharton (The Age of Innocence is maybe her best known book) but will do now - although I've been warned, "she didn't do happy endings". She was quite prolific and received many accolades in her lifetime. She furnished her house for modest entertaining only - she was rather introverted and only cared to see a few friends at a time. She did most of her writing in bed. I feel I might have liked her.

We strolled in the gardens and took a tour of the house, and just managed to beat the rain.

In the evening, dinner at the Four Corners Luncheonette and dessert at a frozen yoghurt place, where I ran into a former neighbour in the car park, by happy chance.

1 comment:

  1. Happy memories of fries with Boy at Luncheonette

    ReplyDelete