It was fun to revisit Delmar Farmers' Market today, where I surprised a few old friends who weren't expecting to see me there. Then on to lunch with several former neighbours, and much catching up of news, talk of travels and so on.
Including politics, of course. Everyone I've met here asks about, and expresses sympathy for, Britain's current predicament. They're incredulous at what has happened, yet quick to point to the parallels with the scary political possibility here. Before I got here I knew Hillary Clinton was unpopular, but hadn't reckoned on how unpopular (and of course the media is stoking distrust in her for all they are worth). From the outside, the chances of Trump being elected seem remote. On the inside, people are genuinely nervous and Brexit only makes them more so.
This evening I am binge-watching The West Wing to try and restore my faith in...something. And here is a calming message I found at Five Rivers:

No comments:
Post a Comment