Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Concerted effort

The Man and I celebrated our fourteenth wedding anniversary by taking our daughter to a concert.  We didn't take our son, because he was playing in it. 

It was a much grander affair than the usual school concert because the band (me, I'd call it an orchestra, but same difference) was made up of 5th Graders from all the district's five elementary schools, and they were joined by all the High School instrumentalists.  It was, in fact, a gala event laid on by the local Music Association, complete with a guest conductor.  It took place in the High School gym, and the audience watched from the bleachers.



The Fifth Grade massed band played two pieces (quite impressively); the High School wind ensemble played a Mendelssohn concertpiece with clarinet duo;  then the High School bands assembled to play a sinister piece called The Inferno by Robert Smith and a medley from Les Miserables.  To finish ALL the players joined together for one big finale.

I paid particular attention to the percussion section in each piece of music - now that we have a young percussionist in the family my ears tend that way.  I was happy that the drums and xylophone and other bangable instruments were showcased rather well.  Whether our Boy played especially well it's hard to tell, as he was half-hidden behind a music stand, but he says he enjoyed the experience.  I don't know if he realises how lucky he is to have had this excellent musical opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. Hence the song "Beautiful Noise"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a grand occasion A wonderful e4xperience for the Boy Good luck to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skating - we went to Peterborough, but there's also a rink in Colchester and outdoor skating in Cambridge in the Winter. Lots of skating possibilities round here! You could almost skate on the river as well at the moment - or it feels that cold anyway.

    ReplyDelete