Periodically I get into cooking in quite a big way - I've blogged before now about my flirtations with breadmaking. Over the summer I fell in love with a cookbook the Man bought for me at the Moosewood Restaurant, called Cooking for Health - it has introduced me to the joys of kale and chard, and has - to my surprise - converted me to Brussels sprouts (roasted and tossed in lemon and mustard dressing, yum yum). Discovery of this book happened to coincide with the Man beginning a health kick (you'll have noticed how slim he is these days) so that was all very timely.
The other day we picked up an Indian cookbook at the library, and suddenly I'm drawn to exotic spices. Yesterday I dropped in on the Indian grocery in town. Fantastic to see spices sold in bulk, for people who use them daily and in quantity, rather than in those tiny expensive pots you get at the supermarket. I came away equipped with packets of turmeric and cumin seeds, and mango powder (which I hadn't heard of before) and black salt (likewise). Also gram and chapatti flour, raw cashews and fresh coriander [cilantro].
We ate samosas and spicey sweet potato last night. Tonight, chickpea poppers and a vegetable masala. We bought this house from an Indian family - I expect it feels happy to be filled with warm curry cooking smells again.
Can almost sniff the aroma!
ReplyDelete