Saturday, November 10, 2012

Albaniana abroad - Day 3

The Man writes...our local Farmer's Market has moved indoors to a school cafeteria until the end of the year.  With over forty vendors, live music and lots of hot food on offer, there is a pleasant, lively atmosphere.

I took the Boy and Girl there this morning, but this crowd is very much Albaniana's home turf (where I usually go by the name of Albaniana's husband) so several people asked where she was. "In Poland" I said. "Poland where?" they said*. "Poland, Poland" I said, rather tautologously.

The cafeteria is adorned with advertisements for milk featuring various young stars, who are so famous they don't apparently need their names by the the photos.  Back in the UK I considered myself a student of popular culture, but I have been out of the loop for a while now so I only knew one out of about six. The Girl reckoned she knew none of them. I worry I am failing as a parent.

This evening I called a phone number with country code "48" and Albaniana answered, so it seems she really is in Poland.  She told us that the city of Poznan is a really interesting place, apparently prosperous and full of students, that the food is surprising and excellent, and that the conference she is attending is great. In fact she would like to stay longer and travel around Poland seeing more of its sites and learning about its complex history and culture.  We will have to wait and see if she does.

In unrelated news, the Boy and Girl have discovered two local FM stations (95.5 and 98.3) that are now playing non-stop 24/7 holiday (i.e. Christmas) music, which they have on at every opportunity.  Which is not the type of news likely to make Albaniana rush home sooner, I can tell you.

*There are two towns in New York state alone called Poland.

3 comments:

  1. I turn my back for a few days and she's disappeared off to foreign climes. Most intriguing.

    I like your use of 'tautological' - will attempt to use that word in the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...you are poles apart for a while

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Ms Livid, that's the thing about Albaniana. She 's just as likely to say one day "I'm off to Poland on Thursday" as to say "I'm just off to put the rubbish out".

    In fact, thinking about it, she's much more likely.

    ReplyDelete