Today I've been schlepping round putting up Five Rivers Fall Festival (Sat. Sept 15, 12-4pm) posters. Whereas postering somewhere like Linton consists of a nice walk around the village running into neighbours, in my current suburban setting everything is just too spread out. I've been hopping in and out of the car a lot and running in and out of cafes and shops, school and church lobbies...anywhere that I knew I could find a noticeboard. Of course, the only people who are going to see the posters are the ones that choose to jump out of their own cars and visit these places.
In previous years we've also put posters up on telegraph poles - an effective way of reaching a population of motorists - but a new town law has been introduced restricting the placement of posters and lawn signs on public property. I can understand why (too many tacked-up homemade posters can start to look a mess; lawn signs at junctions and on roundabouts etc can be distracting) but on the whole I think it's a pity. Community events organisers have lost a cheap and easy way advertise what's going on. The community has lost those handy ("Ooh, is that tomorrow?") reminders of what's coming up.
I don't know what the answer is. Any suggestions? Plaster my car with posters, maybe, and just drive around with a megaphone? Or better still, cycle?
I dare you to cycle around with a megaphone!
ReplyDeleteDress up as an owl, maybe. Cycle around with a megaphone... Nah, don't think so. But I will be down at the farmers' market in the morning, promoting the festival.
ReplyDeleteNo signs on telegraph poles? - boo hiss I say. One of our local schools recently declined to put slips advertising a charity event in book bags. How is the Big Community supposed to prop up the nation with all these hurdles? I feel a rant coming on.
ReplyDeleteHm, I shall look forward to the next Granta Ranta column in Linton News...
ReplyDelete