I mentioned the other day that the apple crop had suffered this year - bad news for apple growers and consumers alike.
I realised today, gently hiking around Five Rivers during an Animal Signs refresher class, that it's not just the apple trees that were affected by the unusual March weather. At this time of year a whole lot of trees and bushes should be covered with fruit and berries, enabling birds and animals to fatten up or fill their food stores for the winter. But this year there are hardly any berries, few acorns or other nuts, and of course no apples in the orchard.
So whether the coming winter is harsh, or mild like the last one, it looks like it's going to be tough for local wildlife. I'm making a note at least to fill my birdfeeders generously come the season.
Tomatoes have been a flop this year(frost in May) but potatoes have done well (plenty of rain}
ReplyDeleteIt is the same here - no glistening crab-apples, no acorns, etc. All the rain earlier in the year has waterlogged the ground, and many trees are dying or sick. Terrible.
ReplyDelete