Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Too cranky?

When I was planning yesterday's musical presentation to the seniors, I realised I had to do a bit more than just show up and play old records at them.  I needed a framework, and it occurred to me to copy Desert Island Discs.  Except that instead of pretending to be Sue Lawley (or whoever does the show now) interviewing someone, I just chatted a bit between numbers about things I'd done and places I'd been, and somehow managed to connect my experiences - sometimes rather tangentially - to the music.

Anyway.  I had a cheery old wander down memory lane.  One of the things I remembered was an attempt to start a Gramophone Society at college.  As I recall, once a week I'd spend a whole day putting up photocopied posters all over the place, warmly inviting fellow students to "bring gramophone/78s if you have them". Ha!  Of course, no one ever came (except two baffled Americans, once).  Didn't matter - my two best friends (it still amazes me that the first person I met at university turned out to be another dance band fan) and I would spend the evening cranking up and practising the quickstep and the cha-cha-cha, and that was fine with us.

Of course, if we'd had communication tools like Facebook and Twitter back then it might have been a different story...

Yeah, OK, probably not.

1 comment: