I was in the backyard, doing something or other, enjoying the warm weather etc. Heading back into the house, as I walked up the steps of the deck I vaguely sensed something fall (out of my pocket?)...but kicked it with my foot before I'd had a chance to see what it was. When I looked, I couldn't see a thing. Whatever it was, I'd obviously kicked it through a small gap in the step, right under the deck.
Oh well, I had things to do, places to go. Off I went and forgot all about it...
Until hours later when I saw myself in a mirror, and realised my rather nice painted bead necklace was no longer round my neck.
So that's what it was. I tried squinting under the deck from various angles - nope, couldn't spy it. There's no way I can fit under the deck - what to do? The Girl suggested inviting round next door's dog - he really likes it under there. I'm not convinced of his retrieving skills, however. The most obvious candidate was...the Boy.
It had rained by then, so under-the-deck was all muddy. No matter. With a remarkable feat of memory, the Boy recalled where in the basement we'd stowed the waterproof ponchos from our trip on The Maid of the Mist. Nicely covered in plastic, he got about halfway under...then found a beam in his way.
It's too bad. I guess the only way we'll actually recover the necklace is by tearing up the deck.
No comments:
Post a Comment