It's funny what you notice when you find yourself waiting somewhere you don't usually have to wait. I arrived early at my refugee friends' house today, and no-one was home. I sat on the step for a while and watched a squirrel tightrope walking along the overhead electrical cables. I noticed that while most of the houses in the street are run down and shabby, one or two have been done up to their former Victorian glory - is the area on the up? I watched a pigeon trying to build a nest behind a loose board over a window.
I spotted a noticeboard and went and read up about this season's events at the Sanctuary for Independent Media in Troy. I wandered down the street and noticed that the corner shop was advertising pigs tails and chitterlings.
By then I was getting chilly, so I took myself to a cafe called Bonobo and had an excellent fair trade cappuccino that nearly blasted my head off.
My friend appeared after an hour. He'd been at the airport collecting his auntie who'd just flown in from Thailand - she has come here to live. The poor lady looked half frozen (she wasn't dressed for a cold day), and she was so exhausted that she immediately fell asleep on the sofa. I hope life in America turns out well for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment