It has been weirdly warm all day. The morning was beautiful with blue skies and sunshine - we said a final goodbye to the remains of last week's snow. From mid-afternoon clouds started to roll in, and before dusk fell they were looking bruised and threatening - rain tonight.
Thanks for all your food suggestions yesterday. As a vegetarian I'm afraid I have to rule out anything meaty, as well as trifle with jelly (and as a borderline food snob I have to say no to jelly in a trifle, anyway). As a tightwad I'm also going to rule out the rich fruit cake. Victoria sponge isn't that far off cupcakes, really, and Eccles cakes are vetoed by the Girl, who doesn't like anything raisin-y (or scones, regrettably, given that I was once Linton Garden Show's Queen of Scones - ah, happy days). To narrow down the specs, then: finger food, easy to prepare, can be served cold, doesn't cost much, tastes good and doesn't involve raisins or jam.
Hmm. What have we got left?
Egg Soldiers?
ReplyDeletetricky.... how about a british-themed cheese board with crackers (can you get Wensleydale and the like?), celery, grapes etc.
ReplyDeletewelsh rarebit? Yum
ReplyDeleteYorkshire puddings - delicious hot or cold. My great grandma used to eat them cold with golden syrup. You could do cocktail size ones.
ReplyDelete