Friday, March 16, 2012

Late skate

It was my last chance to skate at the YMCA today - the ice will be closed from Monday.  I didn't have the car, so I hiked over there, then skated solidly for nearly an hour.  I was mostly just going round and round the rink, and at some point realised I'd adopted a duckling.

She was a five year-old, alone on the ice while her grandparents watched from the side.  She evidently hadn't been a skater for long, but she was very game - trailed me about  for ages.  I ended up helping her practise a couple of basic moves (forwards and backwards swizzles) which she seemed quite chuffed about.   And I told her my daughter had first learned to skate at the Y and in a couple of weeks she'll be skating in a competition...and I think the thought left her with a bit of a gleam in her eyes.

Said daughter has been at a laser-tag party tonight, which has left her with a crazed glint in her eyes and, oh, just generally high-pitched, high-speed - all-round hyper.  Ugh those places - designed to bring out the mum-who's-no-fun in me.

2 comments:

  1. Wot, pray, is a laser tag party. Perhaps we shouldn't ask

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's this: http://www.albanylasertag.com/aboutus.html

    ReplyDelete