Lately I've been obliged to listen to a great deal of Harry Potter on audiobook. In an open-plan house like ours there's just no escape.
I've always resisted HP, partly as a knee-jerk reaction to all that hype and also because I'm really not a fan of fantasy fiction. Elves and wizards - give me a break. But hearing it going on in the background for many (many) hours over the past few days and weeks has begun to break me down, and I will grudgingly admit it's a pretty good story, even if there is an awful a lot of it.
Most recently it's been Book 6, Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince - all 17 CDs of it. Some serious themes are addressed and there are scenes which could arguably be considered too shocking and disturbing for the younger listener. I've noticed our resident eight year-old's face become a picture of horror at several points in the story: all that snogging. Yuk!
I finally got around to taking Rockkid 1 to the latest HP film which he loved - I thought it was pretty good too, well the parts I saw when I wasn't having a quick kip. Rockkid 1 knows me so well as he whispered half way through "are you still awake?"
ReplyDeleteI've seen two HP films, one at the cinema (by default, there was nothing else on that I could stand to see) and one on DVD. Fell asleep in both.
ReplyDelete