Monday, January 3, 2011

"My country..." "No MY country..."

Every year at school the 5th Grade puts on a musical, and by all accounts it's quite a grand production.  The Girl will be auditioning soon (for what she fervently hopes will be a non-speaking part) and will be required to sing "America."

You know the one - My country! 'tis of thee...etc.  According to the practice sheet the Girl brought home today, the words are by Samuel Francis Smith and the tune is "traditional".  Yeah, traditionally the national anthem of Great Britain!  We are urging our daughter to sing God save our gracious Queen instead - not because we're ardent royalists, but because it would be funny.  She flatly refuses - not because she feels fervently loyal to our host country, but because it would be so embarassing.

Meanwhile I find myself being drawn back to a dramatic production of another kind.  I haven't listened to The Archers for years - not since moving out here, certainly, even though I perfectly well could thanks to BBC Radio Four's "Listen Again" service.  Anyway, a headline in yesterday's Guardian online lured me back to world's longest running soap opera, and, oh the shock and horror, they've bumped off one of my favourite characters! How will Lizzy cope?  Will David ever forgive himself?  And will the vicar let Nigel be buried in his beloved gorilla suit?

Yes, I daresay I'll be tuning in again...

7 comments:

  1. Huh! You've brought me out of hibernation to comment on this one: I'm livid (though not insanely). How could the BBC let him die - while sparing HER?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't get me started. I've already written to the BBC venting my anger.

    We had all the misery of Sid last year, now poor old Nigel. He (the actor, obviously not dearly departed Nige) was interviewed on the Today programme this morning and is clearly devastated to have been axed, and summed it up perfectly when he said it was a shame as Nigel would have made a lovely old buffer.

    I will be turning my radio off at 7 pm for the next few weeks and they can stuff that up their Penny Hassett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insanely - Made me laugh out loud on my birthday - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I touched a raw nerve there, didn't I?

    Happy Birthday Ninja!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've barely slept a wink since that blood curdling cry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose you young people cant remember the episode when Grace Archer lost her life? Blame
    that on ITV!

    ReplyDelete