I've had a happy day. Not yippee, wa'hay happiness, but the everyday contented sort that comes from fresh air and blue sky (walking the Boy to school); and from challenging exercise (I made it to the ice-rink and I'm getting closer to nailing those fiendish Mohawk turns); meeting up with a friend (for coffee, a pastry and setting the world to rights); a spot of creativity (mucking about with wire and beads); and a sense of accomplishment (managing to finalize arrangements for a fair trade meeting I've been trying to organise all week).
Another job today - Twelfth Night - has been taking down the Christmas decorations. It's a task I get to do mainly by myself as everyone else deems it "too depressing". Yes, it's a shame to say goodbye to the pretty lights and ornaments, but I honestly don't mind. It feels like it's time. Most of our neighbours haven't waited this long - there have been trees lying out by the roadside since New Year's Day, waiting for the Town recycling service to come by and chip them.
Another way to re-use an old Christmas tree, I learnt today from a bird-related radio phone-in, is to leave it sticking upright in the snow for the rest of the winter, as a shelter for the feathered ones. I also learnt that it's possible to teach chickadees to feed from your hand - which sounds rather cool - but the cheery expert added that although it does the birds no harm and it's a great way to show off to your friends, it can soon get a bit old being bombarded by hungry chickadees every time you set foot outside your house.
Linton Zoo is also asking for Christmas trees for their biomass burner - sounds like an extreme exercise device. Might be a bit far for some of you though.
ReplyDelete3 nights since I tuned into Ambridge. Strangely liberating. Can someone tell me when it's all back to normal?
It'll be months, months I tell you. By then you'll be completely "clean" and you'll go on to live a long and happy Archers-free life.
ReplyDelete