Monday, July 26, 2010

Good Lord's

My cousin's daughter came to stay last night and has been here all day, so that was our kids' entertainment sorted out. So the Man and I sneaked off to London again for the afternoon.

We started out at the British Library and visited an exhibition highlighting the historical, political and cultural significance of maps. Lots to look at. I also enjoyed a much smaller exhibit featuring different artistic interpretations of one of my favourite books, Alice and Wonderland.

From there we made our way to Lord's Cricket Ground and took a tour. I'm not a huge cricket fan (though I did discover Brian Lara - that's a long story) but I still found it interesting. Our guide gave us lots of information in a lightheated way, she wasn't too slick or stuffy. The Man was impressed to stand in the Long Room of the Pavilion and imagine all the great batsmen passing through on their way out to the crease. Reaching out to American visitors (though I doubt there are so many of those) there was a big exhibit about baseball in the museum.

We managed a couple more sights, then we had to squeeze ourselves onto a series of packed trains to make our way back to Watford in time for dinner. Tomorrow we'll be picking up a car and setting out on a bit of road trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment