Thursday, April 2, 2009

This little Girl of nine

So, our Girl is nine!

To celebrate, the whole school put on an hour and half long concert. Well, ok, it was the annual Spring Sing and it just happened to coincide with her birthday. Not that she was grateful as she wasn't overly impressed with the choice of songs or the fact that she had to appear on stage.

She was much keener on the selection of chips/crisps I brought in for her to share with her classmates after the performance. A little festival of salt, it was. I apologised to one of the teachers for inflicting coronary heart disease on everyone. She replied, 'That's ok. My husband's a cardiologist, it'll keep him in business.'

This evening the Girl managed to wait patiently (not very patiently actually) for her Dad to come home before she opened her presents. She seems happy with her small haul. One gift is a set of American Girl paper dolls, which I might not have chosen for her had I realised it involved fifteen pages of intricately detailed clothes and accessories which all have to be cut out by ('Can you help, Mum?') hand.

At Spring Sing I was struck by how all the kids suddenly look that bit older. This seems to be the time of year when they all shift from seeming young for their year group to looking plenty old enough, maybe even ready to move on to the next stage. The Girl has no qualms about the passing of time, she's already looking forward to her next birthday. At what age do we stop urging the years to rush by? I guess it's about when we realise that actually time is already hurtling along like a high-speed train.

1 comment:

  1. the older you are the quicker it goes,although I found that standing outside in the dark by yourself from 2am to 4 am on guard duty slows things down some what!

    ReplyDelete