Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Orange you glad they're not yours?

Yesterday I taught a maples class to a Montessori group from Niskayuna. They ranged in age from three years to six. The six year-old was extremely bright and knew everything. No seriously, everything. I was tempted to go home early and let her take over the lesson.

All the children enjoyed syrup sampling again. Alas, I doubt my own two kids would ever be so enthusiastic. They are very much creatures of habit when it comes to food - especially regarding their packed lunches. So just occasionally, for my own amusement, I like to wind them up by adding a different item or two. I'd forgotten April Fool's Day was coming or I'd have waited for it, but yesterday I sent them off to school with (unbeknownst to them) satsumas.

Of course, neither of them ate the satsumas. The Girl later explained patiently, as if to an idiot, that she only ate orange food at other people's houses, thank you, and then only to be polite. The Boy came off the bus at hometime with a face like thunder and did a fabulous 'How DARE you!?!' routine. He is very good value sometimes in that respect. He then cheerfully sat and ate two satsumas for tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment