Thursday, April 9, 2009

(Lack of) crocus focus

This morning I spent a couple of hours tramping round the woods and fields of Five Rivers looking for Animal Signs - the latest instruction course I'm learning to teach. There were a whole lot of signs, from raccoon footprints to beaver scat. The day was bright and almost warm and it was nice to see turtles sunning themselves on rocks, and Canada geese starting to nest.

Everywhere trees are on the brink of bursting into leaf, so there's a great sense of anticipation. I've always thought of spring being ushered in by a sort of green mist when the trees are at this point, but here there are so many maples, which have red leaf buds, that it's quite a different experience.

Although it's a rubbish photo, here is my little purple crocus from a few days ago. It has become a memorial picture, as the flower didn't last more than a day before something came and ate it. I assumed squirrels as usual, though a gardening neighbour from along the road tells me it was more likely deer ('And don't even think about planting tulips,' she added with a sad shake of her head). I can see more blooms coming through, so have taken the precaution of soaking them all with garlic juice, on the recommendation of another acquaintance. I'll let you know if this works, or if it ends up making my poor crocuses even more attractive to the local wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment