Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Notary Club

The Man writes...there are some weeks when this "experience" just doesn't seem worth the hassle.

My kids - unlike their US counterparts - don't have Social Security Numbers. In order for the tax system to acknowledge their existence, I have to send the IRS copies of their passports "notarized by a US notary...to certify that the document is a true copy of the original". Sounds reasonable enough. Except that according to Wikipedia in New York state it is expressly forbidden for a notary to do this.

I kid you not.

I tried calling the IRS (no chance), my shockingly useless UK-based tax attornies (no chance) and scoured the Net for hours. The only suggestion was to go to a tax office. There's no guarantee, but they might kinda sneak it in with your completed tax return. OK, but it's no fun to go to the tax office on tax deadline day (that's another story...)

I spoke to a couple of notaries. One of them was all ready to certify the copy until I pointed out that she couldn't. In the end they independently came back with the same advice: I certify the copies as genuine and they notarize (i.e. stamp) my signature.

I'll let you know how I get on.

1 comment:

  1. Weired! No wonder they got Al Capone for tax evasion when they couldnt arrest him for anything else.Your accountants are supposed to be No. 1 Whats happened to them?

    ReplyDelete