Tuesday, April 28, 2009

See the birdy?

I was stuck at home this morning, waiting in for a man to come and service the furnace (boiler). But that was ok, I had some posters to prepare, and by the time the man had gone and I'd had a skype chat with my parents I was all set for a postering mission.

We've got a fair trade event planned for a week on Saturday (May 9th, World Fair Trade Day), so I took myself and my posters to every shop and local business I could find with a customer noticeboard. Also a bunch of churches - there are many to get round. Quite a lot of activity for a sweltering afternoon.

We've had a welcome visitor to our backyard recently - none other than New York's official state bird. When I look out of the kitchen window round about five in the afternoon I nearly always see a bluebird perched on the swing-set. I think it lives over the back fence. Bluebirds suffered a reduction in numbers last century because of pesticide use and starlings (which take over their nesting sites). But a keen Bluebird Society has had nest-boxes put up all over the place to encourage them, and that seems to be helping. The bluebird is a lovely thing, it makes me glad to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment