Today I helped chop fruit and veg for 'Food Not Bombs', a loose affiliation of peaceful types who set out to feed people (rather than bombing them, I guess). I've been introduced to the Albany wing by Exile #2. The produce in question came from a supermarket, and it was all stuff that would otherwise have been thrown out. We chopped enough apples, bananas, lettuce, pepper, squash etc to feed at least thirty people. Some of it was a bit bruised, but otherwise perfectly good.
It certainly gave me pause. A single day's 'waste' from one supermarket turned into so many healthy meals.
I also thought it could make a great consciousness-raising cooking reality show - every week present different celebrity chefs with a large quantity of very ripe veggies and challenge them to prepare a gourmet dinner for homeless people. Anyone out there friends with Jamie Oliver?
Another thing that happened today - I was the victim of a drive-by salvationist. Well, a walk-by one, anyway. A plain-clothes minister somehow got me in conversation outside Target, and before I knew what was happening he had me politely reciting a Bible text. 'There you go!' he said, looking very pleased with himself, 'Now you're saved!'
I'm sure there are some of you reading this who can confirm my hunch that there should be a bit more to it than that. I got on with buying sewing machine needles in JoAnne's, feeling none the holier.
Am v. impressed that you can actually remember chunks of the bible. Am interested to hear what you said - surely something about camels if you were on your way to a needle shop?
ReplyDeleteI can't remember chunks of the Bible - it was a 'repeat after me' scenario. I was squirming. On a comparative scale, which is worse: cold-calling, door-stepping or accosting strangers on the street?
ReplyDeleteWow, I'm almost speechless - I've heard of Christians getting people to events under false pretenses to preach at them, but never people claiming that someone can be 'saved' under false-pretenses.
ReplyDeleteI suppose that relationships sometimes start with an accident or a misunderstanding, but I don't think you can be tricked into a meaningful one.
door > phone > street for me -
I hate people invading my home to sell me something.
I like the food idea. I'm sure that Woman's Hour would welcome an article on the subject. Radio 4 is full of cost saving ideas at the moment.
ReplyDelete