Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Natural selection

I've just got back from the annual Friends of Five Rivers gathering, held at the nature centre. There was a nominally formal meeting, followed by a talk from a local naturalist on Flora and Fauna of the Northeast. If I can manage to remember even a fraction of what he told us I'll consider myself quite well-informed. There were 200 slides for a start (out of the bloke's collection of 10,000 - we got off lightly), accompanied by a light-hearted commentary and running name-that-wildlife competition.

Five Rivers has just been awarded a certificate by an Albany alternative newsheet - "Metroland Best Park (Nature), 2008". This is rather more respectable than the award in 1997 - "Metroland Best Venue for Outdoor Fun" (actually a different three letter word at the end there, but I don't want this blog to get hit by random browsers in search of such diversions). Anyway, oo er, missus. Strangely that certificate never made it onto the wall...

Myself, I wouldn't risk doing that sort of thing outdoors round here. Just look what I ran into on my way back to the car tonight!

3 comments:

  1. Is that really real? I told my kids this morning (when they were watching the man video for the 99th time - the 2 year old now has the 'hup, ooooo' down to a tee) that it was stuffed, but the foliage looks pretty realistic.

    Man - just going back to the video, you're obviously taller than you think you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's real - the eyes are not red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In order to take a close-up photo of a roving moose I'd need:
    (a) the foresight to pack a camera;
    (b) the presence of mind to get it out and use it;
    (c) an Obama-like aura of calm to prevent my hands from shaking so much I'd drop the camera;
    (d) to be in a place where moose are.

    Is the moose really real? Yes indeed! Is it really alive? Not so much. It was the Man wot shot it (digitally), at the NY State Museum.

    The Man would like to express his thanks for all the care and concern you have shown him at this time of personal humiliation.

    ReplyDelete