I was up before dawn in order to take the car in for a major service. I wanted to be there first thing to be sure of getting the car back in time for events in the afternoon. The service place is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, so I sat out the three hours in the waiting room, which was no hardship really - coffee on tap, I'd brought a book to read and I've learnt by now to block out the common public-space sound of two TVs playing simultaneously but tuned to different channels.
The car was good to go in plenty of time, so I was about to head home to pick up our neighbour. We'd invited her to be the kids' special guest at the annual "Grandfriends' Day" at school, actual grandparents being inconveniently far away. But then I got a call from school - the Girl was feeling poorly, would I come and collect her?
She's really just got a bad cold, but with a throat so hoarse that singing for Grandfriends wouldn't have been much fun. We went home, the neighbour popped round for a cup of tea instead, and meanwhile the Boy got to write a story with the headteacher who was his stand-in Grandfriend for the afternoon.
The kids are now off school for a while for the Thanksgiving holiday, so it feels oddly like we've just fast-forwarded to Friday.
No comments:
Post a Comment