Sunday, May 18, 2008

Road kill

You know you're in a different country when you don't recognise the road kill.

I've passed many a dead critter while out driving here, and am only just beginning to feel I can identify any of them with confidence. It still surprises me when I see a dead raccoon at the side of the road. The kids saw a defunct skunk the other day and claimed they could smell it from inside their school bus.

Oppossums are the most common victims. These animals are mainly famous for playing dead when scared, but all I can say is that the performances I've seen have been a little flat.

Anyway, as far as I know I haven't been responsible for any of this creature carnage, and I certainly wish the local animals no ill-will (except one squirrel, just a bit). But say I ever wanted to rid my yard of a particular critter, I'd now know what to do. At a garden centre I've found something I've never seen in Britain: a humane raccoon trap. It can also be used for catching armadillos, apparently - but if I caught one of those round here that really would be a surprise.

2 comments:

  1. Do the manufacturers of those 'humane' traps tell you what to do with it once you've caught the bothersome critter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I suppose you could transport it down the road to bother someone else. Or release it onto the highway to join its flatmates...

    ReplyDelete