Monday, May 19, 2008

Boy Story

The night was punctuated by the sound of a Boy heaving - yes, another bout of that. It didn't seem to bother him too much and in the morning he was full of good cheer, but of course no school for him today. Meanwhile, for reasons best known to herself, the Girl set out in her old English school uniform dress.

The Boy and I pottered about at home, and among other things read the whole of Enid Blyton's Five Go off to Camp. It has a picture of a train on the cover. It was actually the first time I'd ever read a Famous Five book in its entirety, though I'm all too familiar with the abridged versions on CD.

It was terrible in many ways - all this 'almost as good as a boy' stuff, idiot yokels and ugly nosed poor people and the obsessive listing of food (though since it was written during rationing, perhaps I'll forgive Enid that). But I have to admit I found the utterly predictable storyline strangely compelling. In fact, in its way it was a jolly good read. Smashing!

Those kids in the Famous Five do have a tendency to eat chocolate immediately before bed, though. I bet they lived to regret the youthful neglect of their teeth. I know I have - today I received in the post the summary of the work my dentist plans to embark on. Now if only I could stumble across some buried treasure...

No comments:

Post a Comment