Anyway, today that's where we went - about a 45 minute trip from home. We sold it to the kids as a Famous Five type adventure (I say! A secret underground passage! Who'd have thought we'd find one of those in an Enid Blyton book?).
In the end the children found the 80-minute long tour of the caverns a bit too much, though the Man and I quite enjoyed it. We were being shepherded round with about 20 other people, and our guide was giving her third tour of the day and it sounded like it, so that rather detracted from the subterranean atmosphere, but nevertheless the caves are impressive. Highlights were the short underground boat trip and a natural labyrinthine 'winding way'. We also viewed the 'bridal altar', where five hundred odd (I use the expression advisedly) couples have tied the knot.The Girl and Boy much preferred the above-ground experience of 'gem mining'. We bought a bag of grey sand in the shop, tipped it into panning sieves and lo and behold - gems! Very satisfactory.
You can see here how hot it was today when we were outside. Not in the caverns though, where it was a chilly 52 degrees. It's cold in them thar hills.
You'll be pleased to know it was a balmy 8C today in Linton and I am still wearing my very warm, but not asthetically pleasing,sheepskin-style coat.
ReplyDelete