Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Teacher Appreciation Day

...is a well-established tradition in the US. I don't know what form it takes at other schools, but at ours today it involved parents sending in food offerings so that all the staff could sit down and have lunch together. The children, meanwhile, were supervised by a team of volunteer parents.

Also in need of temporary supervision was the front desk, and for some reason that role fell to me. I was a little daunted at having to fill the shoes of our receptionist, who is something of an iconic figure. Not that she's what you'd call briskly efficient, but she has unique and wonderful qualities that make her beloved by teachers, students and parents alike. No way could I be an adequate substitute.

I managed ok with the phone (only 4 calls in an hour, and one of those a wrong number). But as a comfort to the wounded (our receptionist's signature role) I was far from successful. Child comes with trodden-on finger - looks ok to me, I send her away with a pat on the head. Fifteen minutes later, child returns, finger still hurting. Still looks fine and the finger seems to move. Another pat on the head.

As the receptionist returned, so did the child, this time with finger visibly swelling. After a spell with an ice-pack she ended up being collected by a parent and taken to the doctors. I'm sorry, small child! I got my cosmic come-uppance later though, picking up a massive splinter in my own finger and ending up in the medical room myself, trying not to wince too much.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you signed a disclaimer. For a swollen finger, you must be looking at a six figure compensation sum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope you don't feature on the next episode (with a US Kirsty and Phil presumably) of Litigation Litigation Litigation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh don't. Please don't.

    ReplyDelete