Monday, April 21, 2008

Gimme a French fries sandwich (hold the cheese)

The other day the school librarian beckoned me to one side. She'd just been reading a book by British author Jacqueline Wilson and had a couple of common-language questions. Could I please tell her what was meant by the phrase 'Bob's your uncle!'? And what exactly was a 'chip butty'?

Can you suggest any other particularly fiendish British colloquialisms with which I can fox her?

5 comments:

  1. Get down to brass tacks
    Abysinnia! (I'll be seeing you)
    Ankle biters
    Apples and pears
    Cat's pyjamas
    Clever clogs
    Keen as mustard
    Take the mickey

    that's all for now tea time here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ne'er cast a clout till t'May is out ... (in your best faux northern accent, naturally)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd almost forgotten that Billy Bob's me uncle! Hello again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And if I hadn't cast a clout by now I'd have collapsed with heat exhaustion - temperatures will be in the 80s again today, they say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that 'dual-carriageway' caused a fair deal of amusement for my Canadian cousin.

    ReplyDelete