It may be that some of you reading this have far more serious anxieties about your health than I have, and if so please forgive what will look like self-indulgence on my part, but...
For the last few days I've been trying to keep a lid on a whole lot of stress. The cause? A dental appointment. I may have mentioned before that I Don't Do Blood. Well, I Don't Do Medical, either, and I really really Don't Do Dental.
The reason is, I have a very small mouth. Tiny and childlike, apparently, which sounds delightful but dentally is a complete nightmare. I had to have several extractions as a child, all of them extremely traumatic. Since then, whenever dentists have needed to to work on my teeth they've struggled to find room to do it, and consequently the experience has been significantly unpleasant and the work has not always been good.
I have tended to put off visiting the dentist, so that when I eventually do go there's always something that needs tackling, and I chalk up yet another miserable experience.
I knew I needed to go this time, I could feel that all was not good. I was right. But the dentist is lovely and kind and reassuring and I feel confident she will look after me well. She will undoubtedly extract a painful amount of money from me in the process, but no teeth. Those she will fix. And I'm actually crying as I write this - tears of relief.
No comments:
Post a Comment