Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rake's Progress


A few days ago someone from our neighbourhood was commiserating with us, rather pointedly we felt, on the number of leaves that had fallen in our front yard. True enough, the patchy grass and toadstools were now covered with a yellow and brown leafy carpet - satisfyingly crunchy underfoot, the weather still being mostly dry.

The Man joked that he was hoping it would snow soon and we could forget about the leaves, but that was met with a deal of tutting and head-shaking and 'You don't want to be doing that'-ing such as couldn't fail to touch any English heart.

So at the next opportunity the Man set to work with the only tool available, our garden rake. He managed pretty well, considering, and soon had a couple of big leaf heaps by the edge of the road which the children took delight in leaping into and redistributing over the lawn again.

Hence this afternoon I found myself in Walmart selecting leaf-rakes, in various sizes to suit various members of the family. This evening we tried them out, with great success. The leaf piles are now enormous and awaiting a visit from the municipal leaf collectors.

However, the fall has by no means stopped falling. I'm sure the rakes will see plenty more use yet.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE Autumn. The colours, the crunchyness, the early morning nip in the air and the bright, clear sunshine. It's my favourite time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that what immigrant labor is for? ... Ah, but you, um, er, ... as you were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back home I'd say spring is my favourite, but autumn here is just lovely - more trees, more and brighter colours, it's great.

    And greetings, Smug. By your spelling I'm assuming you are this side of the pond...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albaniana said:
    "And greetings, Smug. By your spelling I'm assuming you are this side of the pond..."

    I am indeed. BTW, I love your insightful blog; as Robert Burns wrote:
    "O wad some Power the giftie gie us,
    To see oursels as ithers see us!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why, thank you kindly Smug.

    ReplyDelete