Monday, October 29, 2007

Land of the Free

There is a final verse of This Land is Your Land which we didn't sing the other day at school that goes:

As I went walking, I saw a sign there;
And on the sign there, it said, 'No Trespassing.'
But on the other side; it didn't say nothing!
That side was made for you and me.


When I read it I was reminded of this sign which we saw last time we visited Thacher State Park.


We were rather struck by the prohibition on walking barefoot, because we had just passed a fellow hiker with no shoes or socks on. We'd also seen a couple who had clearly strayed from the trail in order to climb the rocks. The spirit of Woody Guthrie appears to live on in upstate New York - there are still people who choose to read the other side of the sign. To someone like myself, naturally inclined to be law-abiding, there's something vicariously satisfying about that.

I enjoyed coffee this morning with a few of the other Cambridge WAGs. It was good to compare notes on how life is going for us out here - for the most part very positively.

2 comments:

  1. No containers? What do you put your packed lunch in? And those graffiti vandals must be really annoyed that they can't take their spray cans into the park.

    Someone should have told Woody about double negatives, but I like his thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well obviously I'm not saying I'd approve of people spraying graffiti willy-nilly - wouldn't want the place looking like...um, Linton. But I think you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete