American English is a surprisingly prudish language. All this 'restroom' and 'bathroom' business. Why not just call a toilet a toilet? Or, if you're posher than me, a lavatory? The Boy explained to the PE teacher the other day that he was late to class because he'd been in the toilet, and the teacher said he hoped he hadn't been actually in the toilet, which the Boy found hilarious.
A 'half bath', in estate agent (realtor) speak, is a toilet-&-basin only - so strictly speaking a 'no bath'. But recently we picked up some particulars for a house that boasts 'a unique bathroom with "twin" powder rooms joining a tub/shower room'. Powder room? Do people still use that expression?
And yet our favourite brand of cranberry juice boasts that it comes 'Straight from the Bog!' - a claim highly unlikely to boost sales in Britain.
The Man is away in Washington again, so for old times' sake we've put in an offer on another house. A bit of nervous tension is good for the circulation (or something). Actually I feel much more relaxed this time round. What will be will be.
Hi - please could you e mail me so I know I have your correct email address - my last 2 attempts were rejected. Thanks Ann Bradshaw
ReplyDeleteActually, toilet and lavatory are euphemisms too. I'll leave it as an exercise for the student to check on the etymology.
ReplyDeleteOk, pedantic person! What term should we be using then?
ReplyDelete